Sean Sawyer






If you've read my second book, We Are Cold Steel, you'll know all about Sean Sawyer, the 'slightly' unhinged ex soldier who is hired to get the band fit, and then sticks around. It's never mentioned directly, but the military buffs among you will have worked out somewhere along the line that he wasn't in the Army at all, and heaven help anyone who asks him if he was. He served in the RAF Regiment, a little known corps of soldiers whose role is to defend air bases and installations.
I really liked creating this character. He's full of paradoxes. He was part of a really tight team, and he loved it, but then he became an outcast and an individual. He's past his best, but he's not over the hill. He struggled with having to adjust to civilian life, and we all know that tragically, that's not just art imitating life, it really happens.
Sawyer is an underdog, he's flawed, but he finally works out for himself what's important. He plays to his strengths and when it all comes down, he comes up with the goods, possibly even surprising himself at how well he does. The details are all in We Are Cold Steel, and I hope you liked reading about him.
Will he come back? A fundamental with my books is that no one dies, so you never know. He seems to have found himself by the end of We Are Cold Steel, and his path doesn't seem to be the same as the band's.
And a question I always ask myself. If my books were ever filmed, and I was asked, who would I get to play Sean Sawyer? My first choice would be Ray Winstone.



Comments