Weapons used in basic training

Back in the day, it definitely wasn't as sexy as it is now.

My training started with six weeks at Swinderby, where I was trained to use the L1A1 Self Loading Rifle, known as the SLR.

Then it was off to Catterick for Basic Gunner Training, where I learned to use the SA80.

Including bayonet training.

I also learned to use the Light Support Weapon, LSW.

And also the 66mm Light Anti-Armour Weapon (LAW). This was for use purely against trenches and bunkers, a trick picked up in the Falklands War. By 1989–90, the 66mm would have bounced off any armoured vehicle, but it was an excellent anti-infantry weapon.

I also learned to use hand grenades.

And that was it. Not nearly as exciting or sexy as the kit that gets used now, but I guess that’s progress.

It's Not For Everyone

Cold Steel on the Rocks

We Are Cold Steel

Cold Steel and the Underground Boneyard

Comments