The Big Three of seventies heavy metal

Ah, the big three. Well, my opinion, and it’s purely subjective. From top to bottom for me is Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin.

And I’ll tell you why.

Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath, for me, are the absolute top of the heap with these three bands. The first Sabbath album I bought was Seventh Star, then the Dio albums, then the Tony Martin ones as they came out, then Born Again, and only then did I listen the the Ozzy ones. But you know what, I really don’t care about the lineup, because they’re all amazing, all awesome slabs of mega metal. Whoever was in the band, I just got it, I got their message, and their music just spoke to me every time. Each different lineup has got its own magic, and I love every one of their albums. Black Sabbath rule!

Deep Purple

So, number two on my list. My first Purple album was Perfect Strangers, and didn’t they look super-cool in 1984? I loved Perfect Strangers, then I got The House of Blue Light, which I didn’t like quite so much, and then I got into their earlier stuff. So, yeah, I like Deep Purple, and yes, they’re loud, but they’re not quite the same no holds barred steamroller metal that Black Sabbath are. Sometimes Deep Purple went off piste a bit, and were maybe a bit too self indulgent for my tastes. So, for me, really good, but definitely second place.

Led Zeppelin

So, Led Zeppelin, and boy, when they turned on the power, they really blew your socks off. But for me, these guys are very much third in this race. And it’s not because of them, it’s because of me. I like my metal, and I like it metal. Zeppelin were blues, and rock, and rock and blues. And if the full on Zeppelin fans will forgive me here, they were a little bit up themselves and way too hippy-dippy with their ‘musical expressions.’ No, man, it’s not a musical expression, it's called a song! Anyway, yes, they’re good, and I can see why their deidcated fans would get them, I’m just not one of them.

Cold Steel on the Rocks

We Are Cold Steel

Cold Steel and the Underground Boneyard

It's Not For Everyone

Comments