RAF officer ranks, impossible to work out or what?


I was in the RAF Regiment for three years. I served on a Rapier air defence squadron, which meant that aircraft recognition was a big thing. You had to differentiate between hostile and friendly aircraft one hundred per cent of the time. But despite that, could I ever recognise or work out them stupidly thin black and blue shoulder lines that identify air force officer ranks? Could I hell. I really do think they made them as utterly indistinct from one another on purpose. Sure, you could identify the officer easily enough, but working out what all them black and blue stripes meant? From any distance? For-get it! At least the navy ones were gold, and at least the army ranks were easy to see and work out.

Still, as long as you slung up a salute, called them either sir or ma’am and didn’t annoy their issue Labrador dog, it didn’t seem to matter that you didn’t actually know what their specific rank was. 

Well, it worked for me anyway.

Cold Steel on the Rocks

We Are Cold Steel

Cold Steel and the Underground Boneyard

It's Not For Everyone

Comments