Having long hair


I loved having long hair on so many levels - that's not me in the picture, by the way.

Firstly, there was the rebellious thing. Blokes weren’t supposed to have long hair, so straight away you’re flicking two fingers at society, which, when you’re eighteen, is exactly what you want. I also grew up as a military child, so while the rules didn’t strictly apply to me, in a very conservative community, growing my hair long raised eyebrows. Again, when you’re eighteen and developing your own identity, that’s fabulous.

Then there were my role models and heroes. I was really into heavy metal at the time, and I still am, aged fifty-four. So for me, having long hair may not have conformed to my parents’ society, or the military one, but it sure as hell fitted in with the rockers, so it felt great to belong with all the metal fans. Amazing.

And then there’s the biological clock. It’s a lucky man who can dodge the male pattern baldness and have any choice whatsoever about long hair beyond thirty-five. I was not a lucky man. That meant that if I really wanted the long hair look, it wasn’t going to last forever. This was a real bummer, especially when for three years in my twenties, I had to have my hair short while I was in the air force, which was a seriously messed-up career choice, and probably for another thread.

Anyway, by the time I left the military and started growing my hair again, it was already going thin. All of the males on both sides of my family were bald, so I had no chance. I didn’t have a combover, thank god, but I was in danger of looking like Hulk Hogan, hair-wise at least. I kept my hair long for way too long, though, if you know what I mean. Long hair and going bald isn’t a good luck, and yes, you guessed it, once I got into a serious relationship, a trip to the barbers beckoned.

While it lasted, it was great to have long hair. It was a real identity affirming experience. If it hadn’t started falling out on its own, I’m not sure how long I’d have kept it long, but it’s fair to say that inside, I still see myself as a denim-clad long-haired rocker, hoo-rah!

But even at my best, I didn't look nearly as good as the guy in the picture. 

And I would definitely agree that it was my own follicular challenges that influenced the character of Johnny Faslane, manager of my fictional band, Cold Steel.

Cold Steel on the Rocks

We Are Cold Steel

Cold Steel and the Underground Boneyard

It's Not For Everyone

Comments