Who is the best NWOBHM band?


For me, there is no question, it's Saxon, every time. Saxon! Saxon! SAXON! I love ‘em! I got into them in the mid-eighties and it’s never stopped, man! And why should it either, because let me tell you, Saxon are the real deal, they’re the cat’s arse, they’re the dog’s bollocks! If you want to know who the real champions of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (super-cool abbreviation, NWOBHM) are, then you’d better believe it’s the boys from Barnsley every time. Iron who? They’re number two!

The fact is, for me, I just got them straight away. The first Saxon album I listened to was Denim and Leather, and it was one awesome piece of Brit metal, and it's still awesomer than anything else you’ll hear. It’s got catchy, foot-tapping, headbanging riffs and solos all over it. Princess of the Night is still played at EVERY Saxon concert, and you’ll probably hear one or two more played as well.

And sure, they’ve had their ups and downs over years, but haven’t we all. They are the one band I will always see when they tour. Their shows are massive value for money, usually three bands on the bill, very reasonably priced, and metal all night! They entertain with a capital E.

I’ve seen Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Diamond Head, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Sweet Savage all playing live, and yeah, they’re all good in their own way, but nobody, and I mean nobody, can ever top Saxon, in my humble opinion.

Saxon rock, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cold Steel on the Rocks

We Are Cold Steel

Cold Steel and the Underground Boneyard

It's Not For Everyone

Comments