Why write about metal?



My books are all about heavy metal. And while the literary world isn't exactly overflowing with metal fiction, for me it's a very natural topic to write about. Back in the day, I was really into Wilbur Smith, and I read an interview he gave once. He said that the best advice he was given as a writer, was to write about what you know, and write for yourself.
So that's what I did.
And if there's one thing that I know loads about, one thing that's defined me, shaped me, been part of my life for almost all of my life, it's heavy metal. I've lived it, loved it, breathed it, and I still do.
Not that I'm an all-knowing expert like the journalists who make a living from writing about every band out there and what's happening, I'm more of an enthusiastic amateur. 
But it still moves me like nothing else.
Sure, there were a few other things I could write about from knowledge, and I've tried to as well, but it never seemed to work. As a nurse, I had a lot of healthcare experience, and I tried writing hospital dramas. You may have come across An Angel's Alternative, which was briefly available on Amazon until I re-read it, found it utterly boring and could not in all honesty ask people to pay for a sub-standard novel, so I removed it.
But as soon as I started writing about Cold Steel, it felt right, and making it a comic adventure felt absolutely right for me. I've always been upbeat, optimistic, like to look on the bright side of life, and that's how I like my books to be. Other ingredients you'll find in every Rick Brindle novel is a feel good ending, nobody will die, although the odd trip to A and E might feature.
And yes, I do like other music, other songs, but metal is and always has been my favourite. Growing up, I'd read every issue of Kerrang, cover to cover, soak up every interview with every band, real all about the background stories, the mechanics of the tours, how the albums were made, everything.

Maybe one day I will write a book that's not about metal, who can say, but with the third Cold Steel novel ready for publication soon, the crazy-mad metal band I've created will be around for a while yet, although not read by as many people as Wilbur Smith's books are, no matter how good his advice has been to me.



Comments